Prepare your eating area if you're eating crab at home. Lay newspaper or butcher paper on the table to collect juices. Decide if you're going to eat the crab as you crack it or collect all of the meat on a plate before you eat it.
Rip off the claws and back and set them aside. Pull out the inedible fibrous lung areas, called "the devil,‚" located around the edge and discard.
Pull out the intestines and discard. There might be a yellowish cream called "mustard‚" inside. Some people like to eat this. Discard bones, cartilage and gills.
Break the crab in half at the midsection where you pulled out the intestines. Rip the two halves of the body in half and squeeze, cut or pick out the meat. Make sure to check all the nooks and chambers.
Use a crab cracker to crack the claws at the joints. You can also press blade side down with a knife if you don't have a crab cracker. Since the claws have cartilage inside, you may find it easier to suck the meat out, rather than pick it.
Crack the legs with the crab cracker and pull the meat out with the spatula. The legs have very little meat.
Squeeze lemon over the crab meat or dip it in mayonnaise or other seafood seasoning.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades