Daal makhani has a lot of different names. It is also known as kaali (black) daal or maa ki daal. It is a very typical dhabba dish and has a fantastic flavor. Watch this how to video and learn how to make Indian dall makhani.
Whole urad daal - 1 cup
Kidney beans - 1/4 cup
Water - 3 cups
Onion - 1/2, medium (chopped)
Garlic - 1 tsp (minced)
Ginger - 1 tsp (minced)
Green chili - to taste
Salt - to taste
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Red chili powder - to taste
Yogurt - 2 tbsp (well beaten)
Heavy whipping cream - 3 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Tomato - 1, medium (diced)
1. Wash well and soak the daal and kidney beans (rajma) overnight in the 3 cups of water.
2. Cook the soaked daal/rajma in a pressure cooker along with the water.
3. To that add in garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, onions, green chili, salt, ginger and garlic.
4. Mix well, close and give it 3 whistles and then lower flame and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Turn off the flame and let the pressure release on its own.
6. Carefully open the cooker. Stir the daal and make sure it is soft and cooked well.
7. Put it on low heat and allow it to come to another boil.
8. Add in well-beaten yogurt and cream.
9. Allow it to keep cooking on low flame.
10.Meanwhile take a small skillet and on medium heat, heat oil.
11.Once it is hot, add in the cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.
12.Add in the tomatoes and cook a little (be careful not to over cook)
13. Add to the daal and give a gentle mix.
14. Garnish with a spoon of cream and a dab of butter. Serve 4-6.
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.