How to Cook Indian shrimp biryana: a Goan rice dish
Watch this great cooking video on how to cook Indian shrimp biryana, which is a Goan rice dish. If you're tired of the same old biryanis, try this Goan-inspired recipe for shrimp (prawn) biriani. With the creaminess of coconut milk and freshness of mint, it's the perfect combination!
Serves - 4
Shrimp - 1/2 lb, cleaned and de-veined (tail on or off)
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Green Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 2
Bay Leaf - 1
Cinnamon Stick - 1?pc.
Ginger, Garlic & Green Chillies - 2 tbsp
Fried Onions - 1/2 cup
Tomatoes - 2 med, chopped
Salt - to taste
Red Chilli Powder - to taste
Mint Leaves - handful, chopped
Coconut Milk - 2 cups
Basmati Rice - 1 cup, washed and drained, but NOT soaked
Clarified Butter/Ghee - 1 Tbsp, for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf, Green Cardamom and Cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add Ginger/Garlic/Green Chili paste and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add Fried Onions and mix.
4. Add Tomatoes and Shrimp — mix.
5. Add Red Chili Powder, Salt and Mint Leaves — mix.
6. Add Coconut Milk and washed Rice — mix well.
7. Cover, pressure cook for 1 whistle and switch off stove. (Electric stove users — remove from the stove)
8. Allow pressure to go down by itself.
9. Open pressure cooker and fluff biryani with a fork.
10. Drizzle Clarified Butter (ghee) over the top, cover and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Show Me the Curry is an Indian recipe website, full of free Indian cooking videos through which they attempt to show their viewers step-by-step, easy to follow instructions on how to make delicious Indian food. Try out some great Indian cuisine!